At the start of a New Year, many people may be thinking about launching a website, or just moving their current website to another provider. However choosing the right website hosting can be quite tricky, there are many companies offering all sorts of deals at unbelievable prices, but should you trust them?
For many people the first and sometimes only consideration is the cost, but with some companies offering website hosting for as little as a penny, you have to ask yourself two questions; how can they afford to do this? And do you really get what you pay for?
Everything Has A Price
The old adage ‘You get what you pay for,’ applies just as well today as it has always done. If the company is charging a ridiculously cheap amount for their web hosting services, then they aren’t likely to stay in business very long. Many of our website design clients have come to us in a panic when their website has just vanished due to a website host that has disappeared off the face of the earth and taken their clients websites, mailing lists and emails with them.
Unfortunately in such circumstances little can be done, so it is important to make sure that your website hosting company is reliable and avoid going for bargain website hosting offers or cheap website hosting, sticking instead to something more along the lines of affordable website hosting.
Of course there is a flip side to this, as well as avoid cheap website hosting packages for being too good to be true, you should also avoid expensive ones that don’t give you value for money. Just like with buying anything else, purchasing website hosting should be about choosing a web hosting package that meets your requirements, offers good value for money, and for a fair price.
To discover if the hosting package meets your requirements and offers value for money, you’d need to look at five important features:
1. Bandwidth: How much data traffic is allowed to and from your website, i.e. the more visitors you have the more you will need. You’d want at least 5GB per month for a small website with few visitors, ideally 20-50GB a month.
2. Web Space: This is how much disk space is allocated to your website, how much you need depends on your website, but if your website is going to grow, you need to ensure it has enough space. Around 5GB is a good start.
3. Databases: Most people assume that they don’t need a database. But if you’re going to be adding anything from a shopping cart to a simple blog to your website, you’re going to need a database for each one. A decent website hosting package should offer at least 3 or 4.
4. Email: Another requisite, particularly for business websites, are email addresses at your domain, e.g. email@example.com. The amount depends on your needs, but you’d expect at least 1000 and the same number of auto-responders, along with mailing lists. You’d also want web based email access, so that you can access your email from any computer, anywhere.
5. Price: Finally, after finding a decent package that meets your requirement, you must ensure it meets your final requirement, cost. For a package like the one described above you’d be looking at around £2 per month or less. Meaning £24 for a year, but remember when shopping around that these prices NEVER include VAT or the ‘set-up fee’ (usually £9.99) so the actual cost is about £40.79.
We don’t charge a set-up fee, so we think we’re offering great value for all of the above for just £27.99. Sure it’s not a penny, but we’re not some fly by night company, we’ve been around for nearly 5 years, and will be around for plenty more.
Discounted Web Hosting
What’s more, to start off the New Year we’re offering 15% off our website hosting package prices for the whole of January. Just head to our website hosting package page and enter the code below when prompted.
15% Off Voucher Code: xkp4uM
This code will give you 15% off our two most popular website hosting packages, our Starter Hosting Package and our Business Hosting Package, however it does not apply to our Professional Hosting Package.
If you’re looking for a domain name, we are also offering a free domain name with our Starter Hosting Package for the whole of January with the following code. Our other packages already include a free domain name.
Voucher Code for Free .co.uk or global domain name: Dr7ewp
So, if you’re looking for a new website this year, you can’t do much better than a free domain name and 15% off our website hosting packages.